Sunday, May 6, 2012

Gold Medalist

Hi..Am back with yet another love story..This is a different attempt..Usually while writing stories I will blog whatever comes to my mind..But this time,this story is based on a one-liner given by my friend Arun..Based on his request I have developed this story..Again this is not inspired from any individual's life.If any incident or name mentioned here resembles with anyone's personal life,its purely co-incidental..And these incidents may happen to anyone,yes every love has some common characters in it.Let me get into the story.


Murali was the centre of attraction there.With VVIPs queuing up to wish him,the photographers were just too busy in capturing the pics.Neatly dressed in a blue color coat-suit,Murali maintained a calm smile on his face.

Professor Arun Mozhi came to stage with a gift and wished Murali.

"Thanks a lot for your presence sir..There are lot of other VIPs here,but I value your presence the most sir"

"Good that you have not changed Murali.."

Murali introduced Mr.Arun Mozhi,

"He is Mr.Arun Mozhi..He was my guide in my PhD..It was because of his help and guidance I was able to win a gold medal in Artificial Intelligence"

"Happy married life Murali.." - Professor wished him and left the place after taking a formal photograph with the couple.

Today Murali is a reputed scientist.He was honored with a Gold Medal for his thesis in Artificial Intelligence in his PhD.Murali didn't spend all his time on research-thesis-Artificial Intelligence etc..He is a lively character and there is space for sweet romance in his life too.Now he is married.There is a past behind this happy marriage of him.

Read it as narrated by Murali.

Like most of the guys in Tamil Nadu,I too choose Engineering in my under-graduation.And yes the most common Computer Science Engineering.Without any motive I joined Engineering.Life was dry.There was nothing to cheer about.But the situation changed when I joined something called 'Orkut'.To be honest I was very happy when I joined orkut.I was not so happy even when I joined my under-graduation in a reputed institution.What's so special about Orkut?Yes there is something special.It was orkut which changed my life completely..Sandhya..I met my dear Sandhya only through orkut..We came to know about each other only through our college community in orkut.

"hi..this is my number 9843323034..call me up tomo..we will meet" - she scrapped me..

I was waiting for her in parking lot..She came near me..She was wearing a red color salwar kameez.. She was holding her cellphone and handkerchief in her hands..With a dignified smile and a small hesitation she called me,

"Murali???"

For a moment I was completely lost in her beauty...I couldn't take my eyes off her..Yes I have seen her pic in orkut and yahoo messenger..But when I saw her in person,my goodness,I felt there can't be a beautiful girl than her..Beautiful is a small adjective to describe her..I kept staring at her and she continued,

"you are Murali..??" - she waved her hands in front of my eyes..I came back to my senses..

"hey ya..its me..am Murali..so how are you..?" - I stammered a bit

"ya doing great..and you are asking as if we are talking after years" - she started laughing and I too..

This continued..Daily we used to meet at parking lot..We were always in touch..Lengthy phone calls,late night sms,daily chat in yahoo messenger etc.I felt like she should be always with me..All of a sudden I felt like life turned rather interesting.. Empy lifeu girlu comeu life reverseu gearu..

But I made a mistake.. A small mistake..I introduced my friend Naga to her..As he was with me,when she came to meet me,I had to introduce him..As his name suggests he was really a poisonous fellow.

Naga too started talking with Sandhya in phone..Sandhya is known for her candid talks and sweet nature. Naga took advantage of this..We don't need a seer to say about our guys..If a girl talks candidly,if she smiles at them,if she messages,if she shows even little sympathy they decides its love..And they will even proudly say to their friends 'madinjidchi machi'(corrected)..Ofcourse,all guys don't have this mentality,but many have and Naga is one among them..That bloody moron proposed her..Cheap minded idiot..But my dear Sandhya rejected him outright..

"Naga..I don't know what made u to propose me..We know each other only for a week..Anyway I don't have such intentions.."

"Sandhya..." - Naga started to say something

"Please don't disturb me anymore..Let this be the last time we speak"

But Naga didn't leave it..He tortured her for some days through sms and phone calls..A frustrated Sandhya came to me..She narrated the entire episode with Naga to me..The moment she said this,I became really angry..But then she asked me to solve this peacefully with him..And I did it..But then..I don't have patience anymore..Come on guys,when someone proposes to the girl whom I love very much,and that too before me, how can I remain calm..I decided not to waste time..

"Sandhya I want to say something to you.."

"Whats that?You can tell me through phone right..I will leave now..." - though she said this,she was curious to know what I wanted to say..

"Is it getting so late or what..This is important Sandhya.."

"Come on Murali tell me soon..else tell me in phone.."

I decided not to propose through SMS or phone call..I wanted to say infront of her eyes..I felt proposing through phone or SMS will not convey my 'feelings' properly..But the problem is I became speechless on seeing her eyes..But I made up my mind..

"Sandhya..I don't know how to say..Well.."

"???" - Sandhya

"I..am...I am..I am in love with you..I love you" - I gave the greeting card and a rose to her..

I could see her face turning bright out of happiness..She was really happy to hear this..Her expressions said 'Oh my dear,I have been waiting for a long time to hear this from you'..But she replied,

"Murali..I..I don't know what to say..actually am..am bit confused..especially after the Naga episode am disturbed a lot..I need sometime to think on this..Please wait until then"

She loves me..I know that..She too understands that I know this..But still she wants me to wait..Getting a favorable answer from a girl is like doing a penance to get a boon from God..Girls are really sadists in this aspect..I don't know what kind of pleasure they have in making the guys who love them truly to wait..wait for a long time..

Days went on..She didn't tell her reply..I started feeling every single second as living in hell..In the mean time I even fought with her to tell her reply..Guys can't be patient all the time too..But one day she asked me to come near ground..Our usual meeting place..She was waiting for me..I felt it strange..Usually only I will be waiting for her..

"Murali..You fought with me..you still angry on me?"

"hey no dear..actually am sorry for that..how can I be angry on you" - typical of guys..

How much ever a guy may be angry,whatever mistake the girl may commit,but on seeing that innocent face of girls,any guy would come down..He will start sympathizing and he will feel guilty of himself for expressing his anger. She continued..She turned her face other side and started walking..and she continued..

"Murali..I..I actually thought about it....Had a deep thought.."

I started getting excited..and she continued..

"Well I..I accept your proposal..I am ok"

"Sandhya don't kill me..am I applying for a job or what to accept..Can't you say those 3 words?"

Sandhya started blushing..suddenly she saw me face to face..we two were silent..

"I love you da Murali"

I was flying out of joy..I don't know whether there is anything called heaven..But I am able to feel how heaven would be...

Coming back to reception,Murali's junior Joseph came to stage..

"Murali sir you two make a great pair..Honestly speaking you two look like made for each other.. Let the love continue after marriage too.." - Joseph..Murali and Joseph exchanged few words with a smile on their faces and Joseph left the place..

Murali again continues the flashback..

Days went on..We were really happy..I would dare to give anything for my sweet Sandhya's cute smile.. Earlier if I see lovers talking in phone all day and night,I used to wonder 'what sort of pleasure is this'..Now I understood..I realized it..No I can't explain it to others..It is inexplicable..If you really want to know,fall in love..You will also understand..It is such a sweet feeling..

Phone calls and messages,chats and mails,life went on..Life went on..on and on and on..

But now things started to turn sour..She started fighting with me for everything..At times I used to wonder 'what really has happened to this girl'...Whatever topic I start it will end up in a fight..Once I saw my school friend Ramesh in her friend list..I was just curious to know how she know him..Well to be honest that was the only intention I had in my mind..and I casually asked this,

"hey Sandhya..you know Ramesh huh..how do u know him..?"

"you started? see he is my friend..there is nothing between us as you think..you guys will never change.."

"hey cool down..I just asked how do u know him as he is also my friend"

"yeah you will first ask how you know him..then you will ask 'are u still in touch with him?' then you will say 'see he is not a guy with good reputation..I don't like him..and I don't like you talking with people whom I don't like'..you are well educated but behaving like a cheap..how can u suspect me like this?never expected this from you"

"Sandhya I just asked how u know him..I never thought that will hurt u to this extent..am really sorry for it.. my intention is not to hurt you"..

This is the problem..Even before I complete a sentence she finds fault with it..And I love her more than anything else in this world..So whenever she fights with me, I am the one who will come down..This happened often..I was bit worried..Yes I agree lovers fights are quite common...but I felt like this is going overboard..I was scared..I was scared of losing her..This became a burden to me..Well I wanted to solve this..

I approached Sahana,my good friend..When I said her that I love Sandhya,she was in for a shock..

"what a guy you are..idiot..ok when did this happen?since how long you people are in a relationship?"

"Actually for the past 8 months or so..but only 6 months ago we exchanged our love proposals"

"stupid fellow you didn't tell this to me..ok we 3 will meet tomorrow..we will sort it out.."

Actually I was a bit scared to use mediators in between us..Whatever it be I am against using a 3rd person..Sometimes the entry of a mediator might actually magnify the problem..Especially after watching the movie 'Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi',my fear increased..But this is not a movie and Sahana is not a 3rd person too..She is my friend..So I felt there is nothing wrong in approaching her..

The next day we met in our usual place..I didn't say about this compromise plan to Sandhya..I asked Sahana to come as if she is coming on her own..We had lunch together..Though I was a bit confused on how to start this compromise talks,Sahana had no confusion at all..She is an intelligent girl..

"hey Sandhya even you didn't tell this to me..This bloody idiot has not spoken a single word about this to me..or to be precise he has not spoken anything to me in the past 3 months..I think after he started talking to you,he forgot others completely"

"hmm..may be Sahana..but now he may feel for it..he may even think 'why the heck this girl came into my life'"

"Why? what happened..Hey Murali any problem?"

"Hey nothing..she she is just joking.." - I acted pathetically as if am trying to cover up..but

"No Sahana..Whatever we talk it ends up in a fight..I think we don't really make the best pair.."

"Hey what's this..You are talking as if its all going to end in a break-up!!!See these things are quite common between lovers..What's that best pair dialog dear..Horrible..It all depends on how you live..If you really want to make a best pair,its in your hands..Think before you talk something.. That will avoid lot of problems..hey Murali,it applies to you as well sir.."

"hmm.." - she nodded her head

"And please don't think am advising you..Sorry if I have intervened in your personal..Felt like saying this.. And its getting late..am leaving..will talk to you later.bye Murali and bye Sandhya"

After giving a short lecture Sahana left..And then we came to a conclusion..She promised not to fight with me anymore..But one thing,till now Sandhya has not shared anything with any of her friends..

Finally we 'bought' peace..Things went smoothly for some days..Whatever we do,we can't change the basic nature of some people..They will never change..Their attitude will remain unchanged forever..Again the problems started between me and Sandhya..Wait wait..She promised not to fight with me again right? Come on,, how many girls keep up their promise..I called her up..Nothing important,just to have a chat..

"Hey where are u..?"

"Am in EA" - Sandhya

"Oh good...are you there with someone?"

"I know you will ask this..See I came with my friend here..Now you need not ask who that friend is..I can't ask permission from you for everything..Shit..I never thought you will be such a pervert.."

After shouting like this she disconnected the call..This is how it has been going on..I was confused..I didn't know how to talk with her..My friends advised me to break up with her..They said she is really a bad choice for me.. My college lecturer too know that we are in love..Even she advised me that Sandhya is not a good choice..Madam said,'I know about her..she is fighting with you all the time..Now itself the situation is horrible.. Imagine what will happen after marriage?If at all your love goes upto marriage,again it will end up in divorce only..I would say,its better for you to move on now itself.."

I respect my madam a lot..I know my friends..They are my well wishers..But I don't want to make a decision based on their advise..When you are madly in love with someone,you will never listen to any advises..To break up and move on is not the right thing to do..I felt,breaking up at this time is like cheating her..I didn't want to do that..I wanted to convince her..I wanted to put an end to all these problems..

No mediators,no third person..Only I can put an end to this.. I know she likes me..I know she loves me..But she wants to dominate me..Yes she is egotistic..But I should also not be egotistic..I should convince her..I should explain her that ego will end up in disaster..I called her..

"Sandhya..I want to meet you"

When she was about to say something,I interrupted,

"I know you are busy..I know you got a job..I know you have lot of work to do..But if you have atleast some respect for me,atleast some respect for our relationship,some respect for 'love' itself,please meet me.. I want to talk to you..This is really important"

"Hmm..Ok we will meet..but I can come only after 6.30..and where shall we meet?"

"Thanks..Come to our favorite coffee day..I will be waiting for you"

"k..I will be there at 7"

I went there by 6.30..To my surprise,Sandhya came in exactly at 7..After formal 'hi-hellos' I started.. In-fact I didn't know what to start..But I did..I started of little foolishly

"So Sandhya,when have you discussed our matter to your parents?"

"Why?Why should I now?If you are so desperate to marry,then try some other girl..Leave me" - she responded arrogantly as usual..

"What the hell you think of yourself?" - I raised my voice for the first time..She too started saying something.. but..

"You need not say anything now..Can't you listen to me for sometime?You don't even have the patience to listen to me huh?" - I shouted out of anger,and then I realized we were in a coffee day..I reduced my volume, and continued,

"What has happened to you?Whenever I say something you interpret in your own way..You accepted my proposal after a deep thought right?You really love me right?Why are you fighting with me for everything? When I send a simple 'where are you' message,you reply back with an essay in your mobile..And the essay is full of scolding me..At times I felt you are taking advantage of my silent nature.."

She was about to say something,but I didn't want her to give that opportunity..or I didn't want to waste my opportunity..

"Let me complete..Then you can speak or shout..I wont run away..See Sandhya,if you really think there is something wrong with me,tell me frankly..I will change it...Ok leave alone all these things..Have you ever messaged me or called me in the past 4 months?No..I was the one who took initiative everytime..If I call, you will respond,you will respond arrogantly..You will make me feel 'why the hell I called her up now?'
Whenever you scold me,I remain quiet..That doesn't mean am a coward..I love you..I love you very much..I feared,if I shout back,we may end up in a break-up..But if I remain silent even now,then everything will end up in a disaster..Try to understand me dear.. I called for this meet not to shout at you or not to fight with you..But to make it sure that we don't fight again,we don't end it in a break up.Hope you understand."

I finished..We two remained quiet..We didn't speak a single word for some 10 minutes atleast..She was shocked to see me shouting like that..Again I broke the silence, in a soft voice,

"Please say something Sandhya..Sorry if I have hurt you.."

"Murali..I..I never knew you were hurt by me to this extent...." - she was not able to speak properly.. but she continued,"I actually..I I am sorry...I am sorry for everything" - she started crying..I convinced her..She continued,

"Murali..I will talk to my parents about our matter..I will try to talk today itself"

"Hey hey..its ok..I actually didn't know how to begin the conversation..That's why I asked that question... "

"No Murali,they are looking for an alliance for me..I should tell my parents now itself..Else it will be come too late..We should get settled soon..And what about you..Have you spoken about me to your parents?"

"Hmm..Yes"

"But you didn't tell this to me?"

"enga solla vitta(you never allowed me to say)..I have discussed about this last month itself.. They are perfectly ok..They were even ready to talk to your parents..But I only asked them not to ask"

"why?"

"Its easy to convince your parents,but not you..so first wanted to convince you..now we can start the formal proceedings..Within a week my parents will come to your home..Soon you will be Sandhya Murali :-)"

She started blushing..

At reception hall:

Everything is almost done..And its getting late..Now the no. of flashes reduced...The video man also looks a bit exhausted..My wife too looks tired..Even am a bit tired..This has been the common comment today..Almost everyone greeted us with this comment, "You twi make a great pair Murali"..I could read the happiness on my wife's face..

Sahana came with her husband...After formal wishes and photographs,

"Hey Gold medalist...Congrats da..Happy married life.."

"Great to see you like this Murali..Lot of VIPs,you look so cool..You people make a great pair.."

"Thanks a lot Sahana.." - I replied with a gentle smile.

Sahana,with a small hesitation on her face,in a different tone,asked this :

"Murali.."

"Yes Sahana.."

"Did you invite her?Did you invite Sandhya?Did she turn up?????"

Means?Yes..Sandhiya is not my wife..Once again we should go to the past..

I wanted to put an end to all these problems..No mediators,no third person..Only I can put an end to this.. I called her..

 "Sandhya..I want to meet you"

She replied, "Why? you can tell me in phone.."

"I want to say something important to you"

"Oh..Murali but am not feeling well..kind of exhausted..can we have this meeting another day.."

When she said this I got melted and,

"Oh sure..sure Sandhya..but I expect you to fix the date and place for our meeting,is that fine?"

"Yeah fine.."

I waited..I waited for weeks..I waited for months..She never called me back..Neither she messaged me.. At times I used to wonder am I really in a relationship with her?Ok..She didn't call me up..So what..I called her up..Again she gave some lame reason..Whenever I call her she avoids me..Or shouts at me..The day has come..I made up my mind..

"Sandhya.."

"Yes Murali"

"I want to meet you today evening.."

"I am having some work"

"Enough of work Sandhya..Can't you spare some 2 hrs for me?"

"No I can't come today"

"When can you come?"

"I am not sure..Will let you know when am free.."

"You have given this answer 'n' number of times in the past 3 months or so..I want to meet you today.."

"See I am not sitting jobless here to come whenever you call..I am having work.."

"Ya you will have work..I know..You have time to watch Madhavan movie in the theater with your friends.. You have time to update about it in twitter..You have time to go to malls with your friends and you have time to upload those pics in your facebook profile..But when I call you,you will feel sick,you cannot come, you will have work..Don't you think you are torturing me?"

"As if you are a gentleman..What did you tell to Siva about me?Didn't you say that you are planning to break up with me?If you want to break up,tell me directly..I don't have a problem"

He is one stupid moron..I expressed my fear that it may end up in a break up if things continue like this.. But that useless fellow told her his own version of what I said.. We should be careful in sharing our personal issues even with our friends..

"Sandhya I never said that..and that's not the issue now..I want to meet you..Will you come or not?"

"What the hell you want to do by meeting me..?"

"I will be waiting for you in our usual coffee day today evening..I am expecting you to be there.."

"bye" 

I went in..I was waiting for..I was thinking about the sweetest moments we had in our life..I ordered capuccino..I was waiting for her..I was thinking about what went wrong..Was there really anything that went wrong?Did I commit a mistake?Is she avoiding me?If so why?Ego?Yes.But what's the necessity to show it to me?

When I was thinking all these things,my order came.I started thinking again.

Am I egotistic?Did I start a fight with her?Or was I really harsh today on call?No..I was not.I have asked her to meet me..In the past 3 months or so,she never told a date.She was able to manage time to go to Elliots beach,Express Avenue,Mayajaal,but she can't manage time to meet me.Great.She is 'so occupied' that she can't spare some 2 hrs for me.Now 2 hrs over.

"Sir anything else?" - waiter..

"Bill"

I had coffee.I paid the bill.I left the shop.Am driving my bike.Mobile vibrates.Yes I got a message.I think she really had some work today..That's why she couldn't turn up.And she has messaged the same it seems.I opened the inbox.So my heart was still expecting her..The message read :

"Congrats!! U have won Free 20 mins of Airtel Radio subscription for 1 mth.The gift would be added in Ur account in next 72 hrs.Thank you for choosing Airtel."

Only from this number I get messages daily.Cool..I deleted.It has been a week.Till now she didn't call me up.Neither she messaged me.Yes I was online and she too was.She didn't even ping me.I called her,

"I waited for you in the coffee day for 2 hrs"

"I told you clearly I wont come..It's your foolishness to wait for me"

"Yes.It's my foolishness to wait for you and I don't want to be a fool anymore..Good bye"

Thats it..She didn't even bother to call me in the mean time.Whatever be the relationship,there must be a basic respect between each other.I can give up anything for her,but not my self-esteem.A girl,my so called lover,didn't even bother to call me to know about me.She didn't even have the basic courtesy to ask a 'how are you'.

I can manage small small quarrels,but I can't live with a 'confusion(Sandhya)' throughout my life.

When I saw the movie 'Vinnai Thaandi Varuvaaya' I cursed Gautham Menon for showing a character like Jessie.I even argued that will there be such a confusing character in life or what.

I apologize you Gautham Menon.Jessies do exist.In-fact your Jessie is far far far better than my Sandhya.I didn't want to waste my life for a girl who didn't even have some basic respect for me..I decided to my PhD. Day and night,I worked hard.Sandhya's thoughts disturbed me,but again I was dealing with Artificial Intelligence and robots.Robots doesn't have emotions.I took those machines as my inspiration.I killed myself.I buried all my emotions.Never thought about my Sandhya..no not my Sandhya anymore.Sandhya Rajasekar.Yes she is married now.And she didn't invite me for her marriage too.

But if there was one friend who supported me through all ups and downs,it was Sahana.

"You should achieve something big in your field da..She should realize that she missed a great person like you in life..Never give up..She doesn't deserve a guy like you" - she motivated me..She encouraged me..A friend in need is a friend indeed..and Sahana is that friend to me..

After my experience with Sandhya,I lost interest towards certain things like love,marriage etc..But am the only son for my parents..I don't want to bother them for what has happened to me..And all girls are not like this Sandhya right?



"Dr.K Murali M.E.,PhD

 weds 

S Renuka BSc.,MCA"



"Murali,send this invite to her..She should feel for what she has done to you..Your success should be a lesson to hopeless girls like Sandhya and it should be a inspiration to people who become victims of such Sandhyas"

"Sahana,I will send the invite..But I bet you,she wont come...Neither will she feel for me"

Coming back to reception hall :

Sahana - "Did you invite her?Did you invite Sandhya?Did she turn up?????" 

"You remember Sahana?I told you before sending the invite itself that she wont come.."
"And Murali..am sorry.. does Renuka know about this?"

"Yes..after a nice understanding only I agreed to marry her.." and Renuka nodded her head accepting it..

"hmm.."

"Sahana,I am not bothered about losing Sandhya..Thank God she went out of my life..But there is something else that really hurts me"

"???"

"We were in love..There were some common fights..Even you mediated once..But why did she ignore me completely all of a sudden?Whats wrong with me?It pains a lot when someone close to you, ignores you without any reason..I was honored with a gold medal for my thesis in Artificial Intelligence..But the real Gold Medalist is Sandhya..Girls like Sandhya should be honored with gold medals for playing in the life of Muralis like me..For girls like her,love is a game and they play pretty well with the emotions of guys like me.. And for that they deserve a gold medal or two.."

"Happy married life Murali"

5 comments:

arunkumar said...

machi, super da. particularly the AIRTEL message timing is super. lot's to say. will tell in gtalk :)

Rameez Raja said...

machi really superb da.. Post some stories like ths with more romance... Congrats dude

Arvindraj Vijayakumar said...

Ha ha ha... Idhu pala per vaazhkaila nadandhurku.. Sandhya mari nariya Ramesh suresh kuda iruka anga....

Harish.M said...

@Arun and Rameez - Thanks for commenting :-)

Harish.M said...

@Aravind - haha..ya thats a true comment machi..factu factu factu